AniAge Project: Motion Capture Database
Welcome to the AniAge Project: Motion Capture Database
AniAge Project is to develop novel techniques and tools to reduce the production costs and improve the level of automation without sacrificing the control from the artists, in order to preserve the performing art related ICHs of Southeast Asia. To promote knowledge exchange and dissemination between EU and Southeast Asian partners, with a view to fostering researchers and spreading knowledge.
A few steps had been done during capturing the dance, we had begun with Data Collection, Clean Data Process and Matching Animation Process. We had captured three styles of Traditional Thai Dance
- Central Thai Dance
- Northern Thai Dance
- Central Puppet Dance
In the Data Collection Process, we were using the Motion Capture System with EvaRT software of Motion Analysis Company at Motion Capture Room, College of Arts, Media and Technology (CAMT), Chiang Mai University (CMU), Thailand. To start using Motion Capture System, two first steps had been done. Wearing a Mo-Cap Suit and Calibrating Mo-Cap System.
Mo-Cap Suit – The actor must wear the Mo-Cap suit with 42 markers. (5 markers of the head, 8 markers from shoulder to arms both arm, 6 markers on both hands, 2 markers on front body and 3 markers on back side of body, 4 markers on waist, 4 markers on both legs and 10 markers of both feet)
Wearing Mo-Cap Suit
Calibrating Mo-Cap System – 2 steps involved here, orienting the cameras using the L-frame, and then adjusting their positions by waving the wand to generate many sample points.
- Place the L-frame in the center of the volume, aligned with the volume axes.
- Remove the L-frame and see the calibration process.
- Waving T stick (attach with 3 markers on top) to cover the volume as much as possible.
- Start dancing
In the Clean Data Process, we were using EvaRT software to make the motion capture file useable.
- Creating name of each marker (EvaRT program)
- Matching Markers of EvaRT program with Markers of Mo-Cap data
- Linking each maker into triangle shape
- Rectify the marker positioning to the frame – from 1st frame to the last frame.
- Deleting noise which are extra marker, unwanted marker etc.
- Editing makers (Issues: miss position, lose marker)
- Export to .TRC file
In The Matching Animation Process – Mo-Cap Data with 3D model, we were using MotionBuilder 2015 to match the Mo-Cap Data to the sample 3D model.
- Import .TRC File from the EvaRT software.
- Creating Actor in MotionBuilder program
- Grouping each Markers to the actor part by part (Ex: Left leg, right arm)
- Merging 3D Model to the Actor
- Testing Animation
Creating Actor in MotionBuilder Program
Merging 3D Model to the Actor
All Video of Central Thai Dance